Birth Injury Attorneys in Charleston, IL
A Reputation for Results in Complex Birth Injury Actions
Having a baby should be a joyous occasion. Unfortunately, labor and delivery complications can occur, which may result in serious injury or the tragic loss of a newborn. These complications can result from medical negligence that occurs before, during, or after labor and delivery, if hospital staff fail to monitor the baby for fetal distress or fail to take quick action once a problem is discovered
Since 1996, we have fought for children and families whose lives have been adversely affected by obstetric malpractice. Our Charleston birth injury lawyers understand how to deal with these technical and complex cases, fighting for our clients’ rights to lifelong compensation.
Some of the most common birth injuries we represent are:
- Hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy (HIE)
- Cerebral palsy
- Brachial plexus injuries
- Erb’s palsy
If your baby has suffered a birth injury, please do not hesitate to call The Tapella & Eberspacher Law Firm at (217) 394-5885 for a free, confidential consultation.
Why You Need a Birth Injury Lawyer
Cerebral palsy and other birth injuries can lead to a lifetime of physical and mental injuries for your child. While you have the right to seek justice for the harm done to your baby, it may be difficult, even impossible, to achieve on your own.
An experienced birth injury attorney from The Tapella & Eberspacher Law Firm can help with your birth injury claim by:
- Collecting medical records
- Filing all paperwork associated with your claim
- Uncovering how and why the birth injury occurred
- Determining the lifetime cost of the birth injury
- Establishing liability of any/all negligent parties
- Fighting to the maximum compensation your child deserves
With help from our team, you receive the money you need to provide long-term medical care, assistive devices, medication, special education, and any other needs your child might require to live a full life.
What Causes Birth Injuries?
Doctors, nurses, and other healthcare professionals receive years of education and training in order to provide an accepted standard of care to their patients. Unfortunately, many doctors violate that standard of care during labor and delivery of an infant, resulting in serious injury; their negligence can even occur during the pregnancy.
Some of the most common causes of birth injuries include:
- Failure to monitor/recognize fetal distress
- Delaying a necessary C-section
- Improper use of forceps or vacuum extractors
- Mismanagement of shoulder dystocia
- Failure to diagnose/treat preeclampsia
- Failure to treat a maternal infection
If you believe a healthcare professional acted negligently and caused a birth injury to you or your child, contact our law firm as soon as possible. Our experienced birth injury attorneys in Charleston, IL can investigate your case and help you hold any negligent parties responsible.
Birth Injuries Caused by Oxygen Deprivation
One of the most serious labor and delivery complications is oxygen deprivation. Even a short duration of oxygen deprivation can cause long-term health problems after birth, leading to brain damage, developmental delays, and even death.
Oxygen deprivation can occur as a result of:
- Breech Presentation: Normally, the head should be delivered first. However, in a breech presentation, the buttocks present first. This can cause the umbilical cord to become compressed between the baby's head and the birth canal, cutting off the baby's oxygen supply.
- Prolapsed Umbilical Cord: The umbilical cord precedes the baby through the vagina. When this occurs, the cord becomes trapped and cuts off the blood supply to the baby.
- Nuchal Cord: A nuchal cord is an umbilical cord that is wrapped around the fetus's neck.
- Medical Malpractice: Negligence by the hospital staff can include the use of excessive force, including the use of improper rotational force during the delivery, medication errors, improper intubation, and delayed performance of a C-section. Any failure to provide standard care during pregnancy, labor, or delivery may cause oxygen deprivation.
Serving Injured Children & Their Families in Coles County
No child should have to suffer a serious birth injury due to the conduct of a negligent doctor or nurse. Our Charleston, IL birth injury attorneys are dedicated to exposing malpractice by obstetricians, OB/GYNs, nurses, and other healthcare professionals and facilities. In addition to fighting for the maximum compensation that can help our clients face brighter futures, we believe in holding at-fault parties accountable, so others do not suffer similar fates.
Car Accident $16,550,000 Settlement
Settlement for a family of
four involved in a single car wreck
in a highway construction
Wrongful Death $5,900,000 Verdict
Verdict for the wrongful death of a woman as a result of the negligent failure of a pathologist to diagnose histoplasmosis.
Hospital Negligence $5,400,000 Settlement
Settlement involving the failure of doctors at an east-central Illinois hospital to diagnose and treat a brain abscess.
Medical Malpractice $4,000,000 Settlement
Settlement for a medical malpractice claim in downstate Illinois.
Tractor Injury and Death $2,400,000 Settlement
Settlement for an Illinois tractor injury resulting in death.
Medical Malpractice $2,100,000 Settlement
Settlement for North Central Illinois medical malpractice case.
Truck Accident Resulting in Eye Injuries $2,000,000 Settlement
Settlement of an accident involving a delivery truck with a pickup truck.
Negligent Care $1,750,000 Verdict
Verdict for a case involving negligent podiatric care provided to the manager of a fast food restaurant.
Product Liability $1,750,000 Settlement
Settlement for a man who lost both legs in a baler that had been improperly modified.
Hospital Negligence $1,245,000 Settlement
Settlement for the failure by emergency room doctors to diagnose occluded carotid arteries and the stroke suffered by the patient as a result.
We will fight for a just outcome on your behalf,
& won’t give up in the face of difficult or unexpected challenges.
A Record of Proven Results
Over our hundred years of combined legal experience, we have recovered millions of dollars for injured clients.
Respected in Our Community
When attorneys need an attorney, they call us. Over 200 attorneys routinely refer clients to our capable & qualified team.
We genuinely care about the outcome of your case & commit to standing by your side every step of the way.
Committed to Our Clients
We pride ourselves in going the extra mile to make all of our clients feel comfortable, well-informed, and secure.
Our attorneys are committed to actively listening to our clients and to setting realistic, justifiable expectations.