Birth Injury Attorneys in Charleston, IL
A Reputation for Results in Complex Birth Injury Actions
Having a baby should be a joyous occasion. Unfortunately, labor and delivery complications can occur, which may result in serious injury or the tragic loss of a newborn. These complications result from medical negligence that occurs before, during, or after labor and delivery, if hospital staff fail to monitor the baby for fetal distress or fail to take quick action once a problem is discovered.
Serving Central and Southern Illinois, The Tapella & Eberspacher Law Firm takes on cases involving:
- Delayed C-section
- Improper use of forceps or vacuum extractor in an assisted delivery
- Failure to monitor/recognize fetal distress
- Anesthesia errors
- Hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy (HIE)
- Cerebral palsy
- Erb’s palsy
- Brachial plexus injuries
- Mismanaged shoulder dystocia
- Medication errors
- Failure to diagnose/treat preeclampsia
Since 1996, we have fought for children and families whose lives have been adversely affected by obstetric malpractice. Our Charleston, IL birth injury lawyers understand how to deal with these technical and complex cases, fighting for our clients’ rights to lifelong compensation.
If you have a claim involving one of the above or any type of birth injury, please do not hesitate to call (217) 394-5885 for a free, confidential consultation.
Birth Injuries Caused by Oxygen Deprivation
One of the most serious labor and delivery complications is oxygen deprivation. Even a short duration of oxygen deprivation can cause long-term health problems after birth, leading to brain damage, developmental delays, and even death.
Oxygen deprivation can occur as a result of:
- Breech Presentation: Normally, the head should be delivered first. However, in a breech presentation, the buttocks present first. This can cause the umbilical cord to become compressed between the baby's head and the birth canal, cutting off the baby's oxygen supply.
- Prolapsed Umbilical Cord: The umbilical cord precedes the baby through the vagina. When this occurs, the cord becomes trapped and cuts off the blood supply to the baby.
- Nuchal Cord: A nuchal cord is an umbilical cord that is wrapped around the fetus's neck.
- Medical Malpractice: Negligence by the hospital staff can include the use of excessive force, including the use of improper rotational force during the delivery, medication errors, improper intubation, and delayed performance of a C-section. Any failure to provide standard care during pregnancy, labor, or delivery may cause oxygen deprivation.
Cerebral palsy and other permanent, lifetime physical and mental injuries can occur as a result of oxygen deprivation during labor or delivery. A birth injury claim gives the injured child and his or her family the opportunity to pursue financial compensation for medical care, ongoing treatment, assistive devices, medication, and a lifetime of care to face a more stable future.
Serving Injured Children & Their Families in Central & Southern Illinois
No child should have to suffer a serious birth injury due to the conduct of a negligent doctor or nurse. Our Charleston, IL birth injury attorneys are dedicated to exposing malpractice by obstetricians, OB/GYNs, nurses, and other healthcare professionals and facilities. In addition to fighting for the maximum compensation that can help our clients face brighter futures, we believe in holding at-fault parties accountable, so others do not suffer similar fates.
Car Accident $16,550,000 Settlement
Wrongful Death $5,900,000 Verdict
Hospital Negligence $5,400,000 Settlement
Medical Malpractice $4,000,000 Settlement
Tractor Death and Injury $2,400,000 Settlement
Medical Malpractice $2,100,000 Settlement
Truck Accident Resulting in Eye Injuries $2,000,000 Settlement
Product Liability $1,750,000 Settlement
Negligent Care $1,750,000 Verdict
Hospital Negligence $1,245,000 Settlement
We will fight for a just outcome & won’t give up in the face of difficult or unexpected challenges.
A Record of Proven Results
Over our hundred years of combined legal experience, we have recovered millions of dollars for injured clients.
Respected in Our Community
When attorneys need an attorney, they call us. Over 200 attorneys routinely refer clients to our capable & qualified team.
We genuinely care about the outcome of your case & commit to standing by your side every step of the way.
Committed to Our Clients
We pride ourselves in going the extra mile to make all of our clients feel comfortable, well-informed, and secure.
Our attorneys are committed to actively listening to our clients and to setting realistic, justifiable expectations.