Rear-End Motorcycle Collisions
Talk to a Skilled Charleston, IL Motorcycle Accident Attorney
A rear-end collision is often considered a minor accident, causing bumps and bruises to drivers protected by the steel frame of a typical passenger car. When a car rear-ends a motorcycle, however, the rider only has the protection of a helmet and riding gear — neither of which has the cushioning power of crumple zones and airbags. Even a rear-end accident at a speed of less than 15 mph can cause catastrophic injuries or even death.
Motorcyclists who have been rear-ended by negligent drivers deserve to be treated fairly. Although bikers are owed compensation just like other accident victims, insurance companies often try to deny or underpay these accident claims — and may even go so far as to place the blame on the motorcyclist to avoid paying out. When this happens, bikers should seek the advice of an experienced Charleston, IL motorcycle accident attorney who can gather the necessary evidence to press their claim.
Injuries Caused by Rear-End Motorcycle Accidents
When a motorcyclist is struck in a rear-end accident, the injuries he or she suffers can result in thousands of dollars in hospital costs, ongoing medical appointments, surgeries, physical rehabilitation, and extensive recovery times. Most victims are also unable to work while they recover, adding financial challenges to the physical and emotional stress of the accident.
Riders who are hit from behind often suffer multiple injuries, including:
- Road Rash: A motorcyclist may be thrown from the bike, causing severe lacerations and abrasions (commonly called road rash). Road rash victims are at risk of deep tissue infections and may require skin grafts to repair the damage.
- Head and Neck Injuries: In addition to whiplash and soft tissue injuries, a rider can suffer serious head trauma due to contact with the handlebars or the road surface. Motorcycle crashes are a common cause of cerebral hemorrhage, brain swelling, or traumatic brain injury (TBI). Victims with TBIs can suffer long-lasting or permanent cognitive changes, memory loss, lost motor function, and neurological problems.
- Facial and Dental Injuries: Even if a rider is wearing a helmet, he or she may suffer deep cuts or broken and damaged teeth, causing permanent scarring or disfigurement. Even after plastic surgery and dental reconstruction, victims may still have difficulty eating, breathing, seeing, or talking, resulting in emotional trauma and a decreased quality of life.
- Broken Bones: Fractures are common in all types of motorcycle accidents, especially to a rider’s arms, legs, and pelvis. As the rider is thrown from the bike, he or she may attempt to brace the fall, landing on his or her hands and knees. Riders often roll after initial contact with the ground, causing repeated trauma to the legs, feet, back, hips, and arms — and if the damage is extensive, one or more extremities may require amputation.
- Internal Injuries: The force of the impact with the ground or with another vehicle can cause serious internal injuries, such as a collapsed lung, damage to the heart, liver, or spleen, and internal bleeding.
- Back Injuries: A rider’s vertebrae may flex unnaturally as he or she is thrown off the bike, resulting in herniated discs or spinal cord injury. Spinal damage can lead to nerve damage, paraplegia (inability to move the legs) or quadriplegia (the inability to move the arms and the legs).
- Death. Unfortunately, motorcyclists are overwhelmingly likely to succumb to their injuries at the accident scene or after arriving at the emergency room. Surviving family members may have the right to bring a claim against the at-fault driver, and they may be able to recover funeral costs, lost income, and the loss of advice and comfort of their lost loved one.
Representing Injured Riders in Central & Southern Illinois
Our attorneys help motorcyclists in Central and Southern Illinois get fair treatment and compensation after an injury caused by someone else's negligence. With over 100 years of collective legal experience and a complete commitment to civil justice on behalf of the injured and wronged, we are here to help you build toward a brighter future after a rear-end motorcycle accident.
Contact us for a free consultation with our experienced legal team today!
Wrongful Death $5,900,000 Verdict
Hospital Negligence $5,400,000 Settlement
Medical Malpractice $4,000,000 Settlement
Tractor Death and Injury $2,400,000 Settlement
Medical Malpractice $2,100,000 Settlement
Truck Accident Resulting in Eye Injuries $2,000,000 Settlement
Negligent Care $1,750,000 Verdict
Product Liability $1,750,000 Settlement
Hospital Negligence $1,245,000 Settlement
Worker Killed by a Pickup Truck Driver $1,200,000 Settlement
We will fight for a just outcome & won’t give up in the face of difficult or unexpected challenges.
A Record of Proven Results
Over our hundred years of combined legal experience, we have recovered millions of dollars for injured clients.
Respected in Our Community
When attorneys need an attorney, they call us. Over 200 attorneys routinely refer clients to our capable & qualified team.
We genuinely care about the outcome of your case & commit to standing by your side every step of the way.
Committed to Our Clients
We pride ourselves in going the extra mile to make all of our clients feel comfortable, well-informed, and secure.
Our attorneys are committed to actively listening to our clients and to setting realistic, justifiable expectations.